Are you trying to get your 40 hours? Do you want to earn Canadian experience? Are you interested in bringing live theatre to your community? Volunteer with Crane Creations Theatre Company!
Ushers, or Theatre attendants, are responsible for providing information, and orientation to audience members attending an event. This is a customer service role responsible for providing a pleasant experience for attendees of a cultural event.
Get notified about future opportunities.
Position Title: Theatre Attendant
Start Date: As Soon As Possible. This is an ongoing role with multiple chances to volunteer throughout the year. You can participate according to your availability. Signing up ensures you have first access to these opportunities and will be contacted whenever volunteers are needed. Volunteer shifts will open throughout the year on an as-needed basis.
End Date: N/A
Type of Engagement: Volunteer
What Will You Do?
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Hand out programmes, headphones and other items
- Help members of the audience find their seats
- Greet audience members when entering the building
- Settle seating disputes
- Guide audience members to entrances, exits and toilets
- Ensure audience members are not using their phones or any other recording equipment during the performance if so required
- Occasionally sit in the audience and watch a show, surveying the audience to make sure there are no issues
- Assist with theatre cleanup after the show
- Sell refreshments and snacks during the interval
- Manage the audience in emergency situations
- Check for safety issues
- Communicate with cashiers at the Box Office, technical and other theatre staff to ensure smooth running of the show
- Check or scan tickets when audience members are entering the theatre
Front of House Manager
Skills You Will Learn
- Customer Service Skills
- How a not-for-profit arts organization works
- Communication Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Standing and/or walking for a period of at least an hour (persons with moving disabilities using a wheelchair or walking device are exempt from this requirement)
- Willingness to learn about the company
- Memorization skills of learning short scripts to greet audience members
- Able to work directly with several people in a diplomatic fashion
- Willingness to learn
- Willingness to fail
- Comfortability with handling complaints
- Reasoning and thinking on the spot
- Communication skills
- Using email
- Using phone
- Basic English
- Any other language is a bonus
- Will be required to abide by a dress code. Please wear black clothing, unless specified otherwise.
Mississauga, Ontario (various locations)
Crane Creations is committed to equity, accessibility, and transparency at all points in the recruitment process. Crane Creations encourages submissions from members of these following priority groups:
- Immigrant or First Generation Volunteers
- Volunteers Living in Mississauga and the Region of Peel
- Diverse Volunteers
- Francophone and Bilingual (French/English) volunteers