Hiring A Designer
Summer Ensemble 2024
Deadline To Apply: January 12, 2024
Table of Contents
Are you looking for a designer job in theatre? This might be the role for you! Work as a Designer full time and design for the theatre and create sets, props, costumes and more!
The Designer is responsible for developing conceptual solutions for visual or creative technical elements of a production. Their work may include costume, set, puppet and prop design but can also include lighting, video or audio design. They are also responsible for executing these elements with support from other staff members when available.
Type of Engagement: Full time
Start Date: June 4 2024
End Date: July 27 2024
This role is part of Summer Ensemble 2024.
What Is Summer Ensemble?
Summer Ensemble is a one of a kind work experience for artists pursuing a career in the Canadian theatre industry. Summer Ensemble hires artists between the ages of 18 to 30 to work full time over the course of several weeks. Along the way, learn valuable skills and gain experience in this fast-paced, intense program.
Working At Summer Ensemble
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Plan, organize and control the various stages in organizing an event including budgeting and scheduling;
- Communicate with venues and partners regarding availability of performing arts spaces, equipment and people involved in the event;
- Visit locations for planned performances;
- Obtain permits if necessary;
- Plan and oversee the budget pertaining to a particular production;
- Source props, set and costume elements and/or materials;
- Contract staff and outsourced work such as design and set/material production;
- Assist with set and audience set up;
- Maintain production archives;
- Create social media postings about the production;
- Facilitate outreach and promotion of the show such as distribution of flyers, posters and interviews with media;
- Update the website with new show dates;
- Update the external listing sites;
- Assist with sponsorship acquisition and appreciation campaigns.
This is a learning on the job role and will also entail the following requirements:
- Watch videos containing acting techniques and exercises;
- Watch video of professional productions;
- With the help of a mentor learn how to evaluate professional theatre’s elements;
- Participate in learning activities about professional companies (employers) in Canada, and internationally;
- Participate in learning activities about funding bodies and grants;
- Participate in learning activities how a budget for an independently produced show is created and create a budget for a dream show;
- Examine different digital tools used by theatre artists;
- Discuss and debate elements of professional productions and acting techniques;
- Learn how to write and edit a blogpost under supervision and mentorship;
- Writing 1 blog post per week.
- Be available to work online and in person at our theatre (3650 Dixie Rd, Mississauga, ON L4Y 3V9) and studio (2359 Royal Windsor Drive Unit 210, Mississauga, ON L5J 4S9).
- Be available for all dates and hours stated in contract.
- Be a Canadian Citizen, have a PR, or refugee status.
- Be between 18 – 30 years of age.
Past Designers In The Summer Ensemble
Learn who has worked as a Designer in the Summer Ensemble in the past. Get to know our previous designers!
How To Apply
Click the button below to apply. Before applying make sure you have read the Job Description and Requirements thoroughly.