The Stage Manager is responsible for ensuring the rehearsal process and production are running smoothly. They coordinate rehearsals, manage space and people, and maintain all information pertinent for a production to be rehearsed and run smoothly. This is a role for a highly organized individual with exceptional attention to detail, high level of responsibility and commitment.
As part of Summer Ensemble 2023, the stage manager will participate in InspiraTO Festival 2023, a ten minute play festival.
Type of Engagement: Full time
Start Date: May 23 2023
End Date: July 29 2023
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the work of the director and actors by preparing weekly and daily schedules in order to ensure efficient and smooth workflow of production and rehearsals;
- Email daily schedules to the team members;
- Prepare rehearsal room by organizing the furniture as required for the rehearsal process, taping the floor as required to indicate the set elements, broom sweep and mop the floor before rehearsal;
- Maintain clean surfaces for any floor work;
- Source and set up props and costumes used in rehearsal;
- Keep a small budget for props and stage managers toolbox;
- Prepare lists of props, costumes, costume changes, set changes and any other pertinent information;
- Keep track of script changes;
- Feed actors lines when called for;
- Take notes of actors positions and movement during in the staging play;
- Assemble and keep a detailed prompt book containing technical cues and all essential information needed to ensure the show runs as directed by the director of the production;
- Keep notes sessions with actors after performances;
- Call the technical cues as required;
- Operate technical equipment such as sound or lighting board as required.
- Design, build, and/or purchase, and/or adapt, paint, construct visual elements of the play such as set elements, costumes, props and/or puppets.
- Work closely with the director on deciding how the visual manifestation of the play looks like and what it represents.
- Create drafts, sketches, plans, drawings, models and/or prototypes that assist in visualization of the design elements and their construction.
- Purchase materials or items used in design.
- Read the play or project brief.
- Consult with a director regarding requirements for the design.
- Consult with a technical director and facilities manager regarding technical capacity for the design to be realized.
- Manage a budget allocated by the General Manager.
This is a learning on the job role and will also entail the following requirements:
- Watch videos containing acting techniques and exercises;
- Watch video of professional productions;
- With the help of a mentor learn how to evaluate professional theatre’s elements;
- Participate in learning activities about professional companies (employers) in Canada, and internationally;
- Participate in learning activities about funding bodies and grants;
- Participate in learning activities how a budget for an independently produced show is created and create a budget for a dream show;
- Examine different digital tools used by theatre artists;
- Discuss and debate elements of professional productions and acting techniques;
- Learn how to write and edit a blogpost under supervision and mentorship;
- Writing 1 blog post per week.
Artistic and Managing Director
- Be available to work online and in person at our theatre (3650 Dixie Rd, Mississauga, ON L4Y 3V9) and studio (2359 Royal Windsor Drive Unit 210, Mississauga, ON L5J 4S9).
- Be available for all dates and hours stated in contract.
- Be a Canadian Citizen, have a PR, or refugee status.
- Be between 18 – 30 years of age.
Education and Experience:
Experience and Education in Theatre is preferred, but not required.
English. Knowledge of any other language is a plus.
Google Drive, Excel, Word, Email, Google Calendar or Ical
Mississauga (Crane Creations Studio, and Maja Prentice Theatre)
Deadline to apply:
April 30, 2023
How To Apply:
Apply Online. Click the Button Below to submit.
Required Documents: Resume in PDF format
Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. If selected for an interview, candidates may be asked to prepare additional materials prior to their interview.
Interview Dates: May 12th 2023