The Director is the person responsible for creating and executing an artistic vision of a project. They lead and collaborate with a large team including actors, designers, technical staff and others. This is a demanding role requiring artistic, interpersonal, and leadership abilities.
As part of Summer Ensemble 2023, the director will participate in InspiraTO Festival 2023, a ten minute play festival.
Type of Engagement: Full time
Start Date: May 23 2023
End Date: July 29 2023
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Read and analyze the play
- Create a concept of the play
- Work with the Design team such as set and costume designer leading the process of creating and delivering the design vision and execution of the play/project
- Create a cast list (how many actors are needed for the show and what roles will they play)
- Participate in auditions and callbacks to cast actors
- Select actors in collaboration with the Artistic and Managing Director
- Attend rehearsals and lead rehearsals resulting in decisions made to shape the play
- Work with the Stage Manager regarding scheduling and other areas of decision making process involved in the play (props, cues…)
- Work with the Technical staff of leading the process of technical requirements for the play/project
- Participate in press conferences and other media events and be available for interviews internally and externally
- Participate in fundraising and/or showcase events as agreed with the senior staff
- Write promotional texts as required.
This is a learning on the job role and will also entail the following requirements:
- Watch videos containing acting techniques and exercises;
- Watch video of professional productions;
- With the help of a mentor learn how to evaluate professional theatre’s elements;
- Participate in learning activities about professional companies (employers) in Canada, and internationally;
- Participate in learning activities about funding bodies and grants;
- Participate in learning activities how a budget for an independently produced show is created and create a budget for a dream show;
- Examine different digital tools used by theatre artists;
- Discuss and debate elements of professional productions and acting techniques;
- Learn how to write and edit a blogpost under supervision and mentorship;
- Writing 1 blog post per week.
Artistic and Managing Director
- Be available to work online and in person at our theatre (3650 Dixie Rd, Mississauga, ON L4Y 3V9) and studio (2359 Royal Windsor Drive Unit 210, Mississauga, ON L5J 4S9).
- Be available for all dates and hours stated in calendar.
- Be a Canadian Citizen, have a PR, or refugee status.
- Be between 18 – 30 years of age.
Education and Experience:
Experience and Education in Theatre is preferred, but not required.
English. Knowledge of any other language is a plus.
Google Drive, Excel, Word.
Mississauga (Crane Creations Studio, and Maja Prentice Theatre)
Deadline to apply:
April 30, 2023
How To Apply:
Apply Online. Click the Button Below to submit.
Required Documents: Resume in PDF format
Successful Candidates will be contacted for an interview. If selected for an interview, candidates will be asked to complete an assignment prior to their interview.
Interview Dates: May 12th 2023