The Designer is responsible for developing conceptual solutions for visual or creative technical elements of a production. Their work may include costume, set, puppet and prop design but can also include lighting, video or audio design. They are also responsible for executing these elements with support from other staff members when available.
This position is part of Summer Ensemble, a on-the-job training program for artists 18-30 years of age who are pursuing a career in the Canadian Theatre industry.
As part of Summer Ensemble 2023, the designer will participate in InspiraTO Festival 2023, a ten minute play festival.
Type of Engagement: Full time
Start Date: June 6 2023
End Date: July 29 2023
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Design, build, and/or purchase, and/or adapt, paint, construct visual elements of the play such as set elements, costumes, props and/or puppets.
- Work closely with the director on deciding how the visual manifestation of the play looks like and what it represents.
- Create drafts, sketches, plans, drawings, models and/or prototypes that assist in visualization of the design elements and their construction.
- Purchase materials or items used in design.
- Read the play or project brief.
- Consult with a director regarding requirements for the design.
- Consult with a technical director and facilities manager regarding technical capacity for the design to be realized.
- Manage a budget allocated by the General Manager.
This is a learning on the job role and will also entail the following requirements:
- Watch videos containing acting techniques and exercises;
- Watch video of professional productions;
- With the help of a mentor learn how to evaluate professional theatre’s elements;
- Participate in learning activities about professional companies (employers) in Canada, and internationally;
- Participate in learning activities about funding bodies and grants;
- Participate in learning activities how a budget for an independently produced show is created and create a budget for a dream show;
- Examine different digital tools used by theatre artists;
- Discuss and debate elements of professional productions and acting techniques;
- Learn how to write and edit a blogpost under supervision and mentorship;
- Writing 1 blog post per week.
- Be available to work online and in person at our theatre (3650 Dixie Rd, Mississauga, ON L4Y 3V9) and studio (2359 Royal Windsor Drive Unit 210, Mississauga, ON L5J 4S9).
- Be available for all dates and hours stated in contract.
- Be a Canadian Citizen, have a PR, or refugee status.
- Be between 18 – 30 years of age.
Education and Experience:
Experience and Education in Theatre Production and Design is preferred, but not required.
English. Knowledge of any other language is a plus.
- Knowledge of how to use power tools
Mississauga (Crane Creations Studio, and Maja Prentice Theatre)
Deadline to apply:
April 30, 2023
How To Apply:
Apply Online. Click the Button Below to submit.
Required Documents: Resume in PDF format
Successful Candidates will be selected for an interview.
Interview Dates: May 12th 2023
What To Prepare For Your Interview: If selected for an Interview, successful candidates will be asked to bring their portfolio to their interview.